Installing FreeRTOS on an 8051 microcontroller chip

bhavukdheer wrote on Monday, April 27, 2015:

I need to install FreeRTOS on an 8051 microcontroller chip as part of a project. Can anybody tell me how to go about it precisely? I have downloaded SDCC and tried to compile the source C files of FreeRTOS that are available for download at www.freertos.org. I read somewhere that once I am able to create hex files from SDCC, I can burn them to an 8051 microcontroller chip. Is this the right way?

rtel wrote on Monday, April 27, 2015:

Note the SDCC port has not been changed in a very long time, and is known not to build with the latest SDCC tools: http://www.freertos.org/a00104.html#knownissues

Regards.

bhavukdheer wrote on Monday, April 27, 2015:

So what alternatives could I use that would help me compile the source files (in C) of FreeRTOS?

edwards3 wrote on Monday, April 27, 2015:

You can update the makefile that already exists to make it work with the new compiler version, then post the update to the interactive site.

As with others, all I wanted is a starting point. Hopefully this helps someone else out.

The 8051 port described on FreeRTOS site and available in the Cygnal Demo folder, I have been able to confirm FreeRTOS V2.4.1 compiles with SDCC 2.5.0 May 8 2005 without error, zero modifications to the source and the Makefile as is. End up with an Intel hex file.

Just need the path added for your Make and SDCC binary. For completeness, GNU Make version used was 64 bit 4.3 on W10 64 bit.

Don’t know if the binary works, just that it compiles. At least a starting point. Assuming you can find the two versions commented on.

Thank you for sharing.

Tested and added the relevant files to my GitHub account. README tells you all you need to know to get going. SDCC and FreeRTOS versions zipped, and the enclosed project is stripped back to only the Cygnal port. All the original ports are still in the Zip.
Do Not expect support from FreeRTOS or SDCC development teams given this is 18 years old as of todays date. Intended only as a starting point.

In case I change the project name, can be found here.

Thank you for sharing!

Should have known better, simple “RTOS” name caused confusion locally. So I’ve deleted the original and reposted with a more relevant name. Same content.

1 Like