Free RTOS and streaming image data

oscar7j wrote on Monday, May 27, 2013:

Hi,

I am interested in making a webserver based on free-RTOS and wonder how much the free RTOS is capable of.
Does it support streaming data services?

The target goal I wish to make is drawing a live-feed chart and its corresponding streaming low pixel (80x80) images on the webpage. If it supports HTML5 or Java, it would be perfect for the goal.

Thanks,

davedoors wrote on Monday, May 27, 2013:

HTML 5 and Java are processed by the web browser not the web server, and most if not all desktop browsers provide support. You should be able to use any open source or commercial web server that is commonly used with FreeRTOS, including embTCP and lwIP.

Thanks for reply.

But in case that Free RTOS web server contents (as example, buttons and charts)are supposed to be communicate with firmware embedded system, I think it is impossible for HTML5 or Java to execute firmware commands.

As an example, the client connects the webserver, which is posted by Free RTOS, then clicks a button that is supposed to execute low end firmware control. How can the web page communicate with firmware?

I have seen some web page supported by PIC 18 series boards. The buttons in the web page are directly connected to the firmware commands such as reset counter, reset LCD display so on. 

Can Java SE Embedded do this?

Thanks,

OK, I figured out.

1. Create XML docs; save variables withn the XML
2. Transfer data from XML to HTML5
3. Display HTML5…

Thanks…

rtel wrote on Monday, May 27, 2013:

In that case you need to be looking for things like server side includes (SSI) and/or CGI script support in the web server.  These allow you to place special control characters into the web pages that the web server notices and replaces with the output of running a function or script as it servers the page.  In its very basic for, to send data to the web server you can send post requests rather than get requests, just like you were filling in a form on a web page.

Again the web servers noted above can do this, and even the humble uIP has this capability.  The examples in the FreeRTOS download use these features to do simple things like write to an LED or LCD.

Nabto is another and more novel solution to look at.

Regards.