usStackDepth with more byte allocation in the task routine

mvaccaro wrote on Friday, December 07, 2018:

Hi, I have a doubt when I create un task. If in the task routine I have a byte allocation same this
void prvMainTask(void pvParameters)
{
char readtext[1024]; /
File read buffer */

How will be usStackDepth in create task?

Thanks in advance

Michele

rtel wrote on Friday, December 07, 2018:

FreeRTOS is just C code, it does not, and indeed cannot, change the
behaviour of the compiler. Therefore, if you place 1024 bytes on the
stack as you have done in the code snippet you provided, then you will
need an ADDITIONAL 1024 bytes of stack allocated to your task when you
create the task (so best not to do it). Remember when creating a task
the stack size is specified in words, not bytes.

mvaccaro wrote on Saturday, December 08, 2018:

Thanks Richard, but my doubt if I have to allocation more byte. In my task I read 1024byte from SDMMCard, then I parser this bytes… can you check my reasoning?

1. I use a micro STM32 ARM that has 32bit WORD
  2. I create my TASK
    "xReturned = xTaskCreate( prvKEYTask, “KEY”, configMINIMAL_STACK_SIZE * 4, ( void * ) 1, tskIDLE_PRIORITY + 1, &xKEYHandle ); " … where configMINIMAL_STACK_SIZE = 128 word so my task has 128word * 32bit = 4096bit / 8 = 512byte
  3. But in my task I will allocation 1024byte where > 512byte
  4. I’ve got to increase these bytes on the task words… right?

Thanks a lot

Michele

richarddamon wrote on Saturday, December 08, 2018:

If you task allocates a 1024 byte buffer, than you need to increase the allocation size by at least 1024 byte (256 32bit words). One of the programmers tasks when creating a FreeRTOS task is to estimate how much stack space that task will use (some compilers may be able to help with this). It is the programmers responsibility to allocate enough stack space to make this work.

Generally, it is easier to allocate large buffers like that in global static memory rather than on the stack, and let the compiler automatically worry about it. Some major times you might need the buffers on the stack is if you have two functions needing their own buffers, and in a given task sometimes you are in one of the functions and sometimes in the other, or if the function needing the buffer is reentrant, possibly being used by multiple tasks, and needing seperate buffer for each.

Sometimes, even in these cases it make more sense to put the buffer on the heap so you can detect easily at run time that you have run out of memory.

richarddamon wrote on Saturday, December 08, 2018:

If you task allocates a 1024 byte buffer, than you need to increase the allocation size by at least 1024 byte (256 32bit words). One of the programmers tasks when creating a FreeRTOS task is to estimate how much stack space that task will use (some compilers may be able to help with this). It is the programmers responsibility to allocate enough stack space to make this work.

Generally, it is easier to allocate large buffers like that in global static memory rather than on the stack, and let the compiler automatically worry about it. Some major times you might need the buffers on the stack is if you have two functions needing their own buffers, and in a given task sometimes you are in one of the functions and sometimes in the other, or if the function needing the buffer is reentrant, possibly being used by multiple tasks, and needing seperate buffer for each.

Sometimes, even in these cases it make more sense to put the buffer on the heap so you can detect easily at run time that you have run out of memory.

mvaccaro wrote on Saturday, December 08, 2018:

Thanks Richard, I move the allocation in the main program