RX62N debug console

rkn92 wrote on Friday, January 11, 2013:

HI,

In my new project based on RX62N + Renesas compiler I am trying to use debug console, which files I need to add for using function “vPrintString”?

Regards,
Ratheesh.K

rtel wrote on Sunday, January 13, 2013:

Where did the vPrintString() come from (maybe the book examples?).

If you are using semi hosting then the C libraries need to be configured to route output to the debugger.  If you are not using semi hosting then normally functions like printf() need a thin port layer to perform the actual character input and output (that part being very application dependent).

Regards.

rkn92 wrote on Monday, January 14, 2013:

HI,

Using the FreeRTOS Real Time Kernel - A Practical Guide , creating tasks example . 1 has vPrintString();
What is “Semi hosting”??

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Ratheesh.K

rtel wrote on Monday, January 14, 2013:

According to the text the messages should appear in the debug console of the IDE.  That is semi-hosting, the output is shown on the host rather than via a peripheral on the target.

Are you using the configuration as described in the text?  The HEW IDE with the E1 emulator?

Regards.

Hi,

I am using HEW IDE with E1 emulator, But when I add vPrintString() in code I am getting the following error.

L2310 (E) Undefined external symbol “_vPrintString” referenced in “P:\Codes\Bewo\Bewo\Bewo_Phase1_FreeRTOS_1112013\Bewo_Phase1_FreeRTOS_1112013\Debug\Bewo_Phase1_FreeRTOS_1112013.obj”

Regards,
Ratheesh

rtel wrote on Monday, January 14, 2013:

vPrintString() is part of the demo code that comes with the books, not part of FreeRTOS.  It is defined in basic_io.c, and just calls printf() wrapped in schedule disable/enable calls to ensure mutual exclusivity.

Regards.

Hi,

where can I get basic_io.c?
Thanks for your help.

Regards
Ratheesh.K

Hi,

I downloaded basic_io.c and added it to project, which solved the issue, thanks for your help.

Regards,
Ratheesh