Marshall

nobody wrote on Monday, January 15, 2007:

Is the OS a full working OS? Why are there no screenpic’s? I don’t seem the find what the kernel is?
thanks
Marshall

embeddedc wrote on Monday, January 15, 2007:

The first line of the WEB site: "FreeRTOS.org is a portable, open source, mini Real Time Kernel".  Mini being the key word.  It is not an OS in the sence that Linux is an OS.

nobody wrote on Monday, January 15, 2007:

Even more to the point, Linux is a kernel, not an "OS" in the sense that Windows XP/OS X are operating systems.

imajeff wrote on Monday, January 15, 2007:

Marshall, I want to try to help explain too what an OS is. First of all, a fully working "Linux" does not even have to have a "screen", and therefore nothing to look at (unless you mean post the file "tasks.c" or some source code. Shoot, even GNU/Linux might not be complete with a display, even though the intention of GNU is to have at least a text console.

Yet, FreeRTOS is a fully funcional OS in my terms, that by nature, an OS does not reqire any specific feature that another OS has. "OS" describes the surrounding software functionality to support system hardware. If the system has a display, then sure, the OS should include support.

The reason FreeRTOS does not include support for it (I call it minimal OS) is because the author has no clue what type of display I will put in my embedded system, nor anyone else. I have currently only 8 LEDs for my display. Want a snapshot of that? Try looking in the ports. Many of them include a picture of their board and display.