IAR plug-in now available for download

rtel wrote on Wednesday, June 03, 2009:

This is a beta release.  This is because IAR support so many platforms that its impractical to test fully on all of them.  Please provide feedback and/or bug reports either here or to WITTENSTEIN directly.


mikej42 wrote on Wednesday, June 03, 2009:

Hello Richard

Great to have the plug-in - I am using it on IAR EWARM 5.30,  for the Atmel AT91SM7S256, with freeRTOS 5.2.0

It took me a little while to install it, as I was not sure where to point the installation - it is the common directory of the relevant IAR directory.

Works a treat with the task list and information, and the registered queues showing.

I have a query about the minimum free stack, comapred with the program output using vTaskList( signed portCHAR *pcWriteBuffer ); which shows for example on task
Debug           R      1          349    14
IDLE            R      0          75    1
SnapMng Uart 1  B      7          141    6
Application     B      8          83    15
TempCtrl        B      2          35    11
Snap Uart 1     B      7          791    5

while the output from the plugin is >256 bytes for all tasks except TempCtrl which shows as 140. Do I have an interpretation problem?



rtel wrote on Wednesday, June 03, 2009:

Thanks for your feedback.

Ref the stack high water mark.  I have just checked and that’s a genuine oops.  Divide the displayed value by 4 to get the true value.  Sorry.


jwestmoreland wrote on Tuesday, June 16, 2009:

I tried this with IAR - I have EW-430 - latest - the plugin installed but when I ran my app - nothing was displayed.  The debugger also crashed - I ended up disabling the plugin - and it didn’t crash - not 100% sure the plugin caused the crashes but all indications are pointing in that direction.

This was on my XP laptop.

John W.

rtel wrote on Tuesday, June 16, 2009:

Thanks for giving this feedback.  I have tried using the plug-in with the MSP430, but only using a simulated target.  It seemed to work well but I will investigate further.


sam-system wrote on Wednesday, June 24, 2009:

I have tried the plugin with IAR Embedded Workbench for AVR 5.20 and 5.30.

The task view seems to show the correct number of tasks. The task name length in the view also reflects the configMAX_TASK_NAME_LEN but the data filled into the task view seems to be all crap.

I can register a queue to the registry and it will show up in the queue view but the same thing the data is all crap.

Can I do some more investigations to help any further?



rtel wrote on Wednesday, June 24, 2009:

Thanks for reporting this.  I have to confess to only having tried with 16 and 32 bit ports.  There will be another version released soon that fixes the stack high water mark reporting (currently it is reporting a value 4 times too high) so will check out the AVR at that time.


whynotwhynot wrote on Sunday, June 28, 2009:

Another question, i am also using 5.3, I have an error message "Unknown or ambiguous symbol.xQueueRegistry". I have no queue display. And I have set the configureUSE_Trace and configureQueueRegistrySize.


rtel wrote on Thursday, July 23, 2009:

Having looked at this further I think this is not actually a bug.  The WEB server is showing the number of words, whereas the plug-in is showing the number of bytes, which is why there is the *4 difference on the 32bit machine.  The function the WEB server is using to generate the value and the IAR documentation are both correctly state what the value is.