FreeRTOS Windows Port Demo Project does not compile

Hello,
I’m using FreeRTOS V10.4.3 and tried to run the Windows port Demo/WIN32-MSVC in VS2022, as described here. The problem is, it does not compile because it misses the file “trcPortDefines.h”

I’ve already added Percepio’s Traceanalyzer directory with all its sources to the project directory manually, because otherwise it would not compile due to variouse functions and files missing.

But the mentioned “trcPortDefines.h” is not there either, so the project does not compile.

Does anybody know where I can find it?

And is it really necessary to add all sources of Traceanalyzer to run the demo at all? Or are there some hidden switches that I can disable to run the demo without Traceanalyzer? I mean, not everybody has access to these files but I guess the port should be usable regardless…

Thanks for your help!

@Stonebull : Thanks for the report. The trace recorder was updated recently, so this project must have fallen through the cracks.

If you comment out the trcPortDefines.h include in FreeRTOSConfig.h and should be able to build without it.

Me or another member of our team will attempt to reproduce the problem and open a PR in the next few days or so and update this topic.

Hello,
thanks for your quick reply.
I did as you suggested, but instead of being able to built I got a ton of other errors.
Some are related to missing include/source paths in the VS solution, but I also get syntax errors reported.

I’m having the suspicion that maybe the traceanalyzer sources that I added are not suitable for the MSCV compiler… I don’t know if that can even be a problem.
But again I’m really confused, can’t I somehow easily get rid of any reference to the traceanalyzer as I do not intend to use it, at least for now?
How do people run the example who don’t have traceanalyzer sources laying around?
Or is having a traceanalyzer license mandatory for being able to run the example at all?

Thanks a lot for your time!

To remove the tracealyzer code you also need to remove the calls to trace start, trace stop, save the trace to file etc. too.

Try the code from this git tag GitHub - FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS at 202112.00 or this download https://github.com/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/releases/download/202112.00/FreeRTOSv202112.00.zip as a temporary workaround.