+TCP Version define

Am I missing it somewhere, or could it be considered to add the TCP version to a define somewhere? Something like

#define FREERTOS_TCP_VERSION “2.2.0”

Hello Erik!
As far as I know, there is no such #define in TCP source. But, yes it is a good idea to add this somewhere.
I think FreeRTOS_IP.h might be a good place to add this value in (FreeRTOSIPConfigDefaults.h should be reserved for configuration).

Would you like to create a PR for the same change in the FreeRTOS+TCP repository?

Regards,
Aniruddha

But, yes it is a good idea to add this somewhere.

Agreed!

But what I possibly prefer is a numeric value that reflects the current version, like e.g. MAJOR, MINOR, SUB?

I’d prefer to use the same scheme as FreeRTOS core (in task.h).

I support this, it doesn’t matter to me, I’d just like some quick way to view the IP stack version from the application.

Just for reference: https://github.com/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS-Kernel/blob/main/include/task.h#L47

@hs2 wrote:

I’d prefer to use the same scheme as FreeRTOS core (in task.h).

Yes, that is perfect:

#define tskKERNEL_VERSION_NUMBER       "V10.4.3"
#define tskKERNEL_VERSION_MAJOR        10
#define tskKERNEL_VERSION_MINOR        4
#define tskKERNEL_VERSION_BUILD        3

So you can easily test the version in the code.

Yes, can we name it as below?

ipFR_TCP_VERSION_NUMBER
ipFR_TCP_VERSION_MAJOR
ipFR_TCP_VERSION_MINOR
ipFR_TCP_VERSION_BUILD

And I am thinking of putting this in FreeRTOS_IP.c.

@friesen, would you be creating a PR (we’ll help you with the PR as well, no need to worry :slight_smile: ) or I can do it for you if you’d prefer that.

I think it would work smoother for AWS to do this, as their present build may be more advanced than the present.

I have created a PR here: Tcp version macros by AniruddhaKanhere · Pull Request #255 · FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS-Plus-TCP (github.com)

@friesen, I was not sure of your github account ID thus, just mentioned you by name. I can update it with your github ID if you’d like.

github user friesendrywall

I updated my PR description! :slight_smile:

EDIT: @friesen, the PR is merged. :smiley: Thank you for the suggestion!