TCP - Cane a Socket be used for multiple connects and shutdowns

joehinkle wrote on Wednesday, September 28, 2016:

I’m thinking about heap fragmentation.

I’m using heap4.

I have to acquire from 1 to 5 files from a Server.

Currently, I’m shutting down each connection after a file is acquired (think HTTP 1.0). and closing the socket.

Since a TCP socket acquires multiple buffers from the heap, each time a file is processed, buffers are acquired and freed from the heap because the socket is being acquired and freed.

Can a task acquire a socket and then perform multiple connects and shutdowns on the socket without closing the socket?

Thanks.

Joe

rtel wrote on Wednesday, September 28, 2016:

Hi Joe,

I think this should be legal, according to the TCP state machine, but it will mean you will create a new connection using the same IP address and port number, and I believe that has the potential to cause problems with anything in between your client and server (firewalls, routers, etc.) that could could maintain state of the previous connection. I will have to defer to Hein for anything further.

Regards.

I am/was concerned about internal socket data not getting re-initialized with each connection. You inferred that, I think, by stating that the port number might not be changed with a new connection.

Local Port number being associated wth socket and not the current connection. Is this a socket specification or an implementataion action?

Thanks.

Joe

heinbali01 wrote on Wednesday, September 28, 2016:

Can a task acquire a socket and then perform multiple connects
and shutdowns on the socket without closing the socket?

Unfortunately that is not possible.

The only socket that can connect multiple times is a server socket that uses the resocket option FREERTOS_SO_REUSE_LISTEN_SOCKET. That is no use for you now.

Have you really seen that a lot of fragmentation occurs? Because normally, when you allocated N blocks, and then de-allocate them (in any order), there should be no fragmentation left.
heap4 will split-up memory blocks, but free will join the blocks again.

rtel wrote on Wednesday, September 28, 2016:

The port number is assigned when the socket is ‘bound’. Re-using the
socket does not re-bind the socket. It may be possible to explicitly
re-bind the socket by calling FreeRTOS_bind(), but I would have to check
the source code to see if that would work - it is possible the bind()
function will only proceed if the socket is not already bound to a port.

Fragmentation was just a concern – I have not investigated actual results, just potential concern because of my process.

heinbali01 wrote on Wednesday, September 28, 2016:

Currently, I’m shutting down each connection after a file is
acquired (think HTTP 1.0). and closing the socket.

Is it really important to stay HTTP 1.0 compatible?
In all my HTTP client applications, a socket will do multiple GET’s without closing the connection in-between and I can not remember that it ever cause a problem.

I’m modifing my process flow to keep the connection open to see how THAT works.