Segmentation fault on heap_4.c while building for Msp430FR5969 demo

Hi,
I am trying to get FreeRTOS working for my development board MSP430FR6989.
As a starting point, I downloaded the latest CCS (11.1.0.00011) and the latest FreeRTOS code from Github (1ce4d784c).

I started by loading the demo (FreeRTOS/Demo/MSP430X_MSP430FR5969_LaunchPad_IAR_CCS) into CCS.

The first problem is that we have to change ParTest.h into partest.h in main.c.

Following that, compilation still fails with the following error:
Building file: β€œ/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Source/portable/MemMang/heap_4.c”
Invoking: MSP430 Compiler

"/home/fhof/ti/ccs1110/ccs/tools/compiler/ti-cgt-msp430_21.6.0.LTS/bin/cl430" -vmspx --data_model=large -O0 --opt_for_speed=1 --use_hw_mpy=F5 --include_path="/home/fhof/ti/ccs1110/ccs/ccs_base/msp430/include" --include_path="/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Demo/MSP430X_MSP430FR5969_LaunchPad_IAR_CCS" --include_path="/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Source/include" --include_path="/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Source/portable/CCS/MSP430X" --include_path="/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS-Plus/Source/FreeRTOS-Plus-CLI" --include_path="/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Demo/Common/include" --include_path="/home/fhof/ti/ccs1110/ccs/tools/compiler/ti-cgt-msp430_21.6.0.LTS/include" --include_path="/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Demo/MSP430X_MSP430FR5969_LaunchPad_IAR_CCS/driverlib/MSP430FR5xx_6xx" --define=__MSP430FR5969__ -g --c11 --printf_support=minimal --diag_warning=225 --diag_wrap=off --display_error_number --abi=eabi --silicon_errata=CPU21 --silicon_errata=CPU22 --silicon_errata=CPU40 --preproc_with_compile --preproc_dependency="FreeRTOS_Source/portable/MemMang/heap_4.d_raw" --obj_directory="FreeRTOS_Source/portable/MemMang"  "/home/fhof/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS/Source/portable/MemMang/heap_4.c"
FreeRTOS_Source/portable/MemMang/subdir_rules.mk:7: recipe for target 'FreeRTOS_Source/portable/MemMang/heap_4.obj' failed
abnormal termination of /home/fhof/ti/ccs1110/ccs/tools/compiler/ti-cgt-msp430_21.6.0.LTS/bin/cg430
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
gmake: *** [FreeRTOS_Source/portable/MemMang/heap_4.obj] Error 139

Is there a way to choose a different heap_xyz.c?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

You can use whichever heap implementation you want from FreeRTOS-Kernel/portable/MemMang at main Β· FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS-Kernel Β· GitHub - but it looks like the compiler just crashed rather than failed to build the source file.

1 Like

You really should report the compiler bug to the provider or maybe switch back to the previous, hopefully working version until it’s fixed.

1 Like

I agree, I realized that overnight.
The concerning part, is that two compilers fail with that specific file.

I will try another heap_xyz.c-file and see if that helps for now.