portable.h:140:Error: syntax error

nobody wrote on Friday, March 17, 2006:

Hi, I’ve downloaded FreeRTOS and I am trying to compile the rtosdemo1 example using the MPLAB v 6.30 IDE. I get this error "portable.h:140:Error: syntax error " - any ideas ? I am using the student version of Microchip C18 Compiler.

This line is the first place that portSTACK_TYPE is used so it is almost definite that your problem is that MPLAB_PIC18F_PORT is not defined in your project.  Have you changed the project setting at all since downloading?

Thanks for the reply, can you point me in the direction to where this should be defined ? It is possible that I may have inadvertantly changed something in the project as I had to edit the path location externally.

Hi,
I defined the portSTACK_TYPE in the C18 macro definitioin area of the project build options and this seems to have sorted the original problem…however I now get some warnings about some locations being redundant in the interrupt save of the serial.c ?. I also have 1 error which is :-
Error - could not find definition of symbol ‘vStartPolledQueueTasks’ in file …FreeRTOS\Demo\PIC18_MPLAB\main1.o’.
any ideas  ?

Right click on the project in the and select "build options" (or access build options through the menu).

In the pop up window select the MPLAB C18 tab.   Under macro definitions you should see MPLAB_PIC18F_PORT.  If this is not defined the build will not be correct.  This definition tells the file portable.h which port file to include.

Hi, I had tried this as suggested ( see reply above 3:56 ) - I dont’t know why the later post got in ahead of the one 3:24, it solved the original problem but as has thrown up some other issues as I have outlined above - anay ideas ?, thanks in advance.