PIC24 Demo Application

hungjury wrote on Thursday, February 10, 2011:

I am using the PIC24 Demo Application with the C30 Compiler.  I have V6.1.1 of the RTOS.

I have 2 questions:
1. The demo doesn’t compile.  I get the following:
    Warning: linker script did not specify CRT0_STARTUP file, default for this device: crt0_standard.o
    Warning: linker script did not specify CRT1_STARTUP file, default for this device: crt1_standard.o
    Error: A heap is required, but has not been specified
    Where do I look for the two ctr0/1 file definitions?
    Where do I define the heap?  Normally these are specified in the build options dialog box (heap and min stack size).  Is  there another way this is being handled in the demo project (obviously not, hence the error).  What do I set these to?

2. Sorry, but I am a newb on FreeRTOS.  I figure that the RTOS must be using system resources, for example a counter/timer for the tick timer.  Does the RTOS use a resource and if it does, how do I find the documentation on which resources it is using?

Thanks for the help!

rtel wrote on Thursday, February 10, 2011:

To use the latest version of the C30 compiler you have to do two things:

1) Replace the linker script in the project directory with the linker script with the exact same name from the C30 installation directory.

2) In the compiler options, define a heap.  Unless you are using malloc() you can just set the heap size to 0.  The new compiler/linker just needs the option to be set.

I think I have made these changes already in the head revision of the SVN repository.

Regards.