No more free socket error after calling IotMqtt_Connect() multiple times

I am trying to implement network reconnection logic to avoid network disconnection in runtime,

• IotMqtt_Connect() is called with disconnect callback set, so whenever the MQTT is disconnected this callback should be invoked,
  • Whenever there is no network, call back is called with reason IOT_MQTT_KEEP_ALIVE_TIMEOUT,
  • In a separate task, i am Waiting for connection retry delay, and calling IotMqtt_Connect() again.

When ping request is not received _IotMqtt_CloseNetworkConnection() is called which inturn calls SOCKETS_Shutdown() ultimately, not SOCKETS_Close()

so if I call IotMqtt_Connect() , it creates a new socket instead of using the existing one, my wifi(TI CC3135) supports max of 16 sockets, after retrying for 16 times, I am getting error “no free sockets available”

Hi @Radrud,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention; I’m looking into this.

Looking at the code of _IotMqtt_ProcessKeepAlive in iot_mqtt_operation.c, it looks like there’s an internal call to _IotMqtt_CloseNetworkConnection, which closes the connection, but does not destroy it. In the v4_beta version of MQTT from which this code is bases, there’s a subsequent call to _IotMqtt_DecrementConnectionReferences, which ends up destroying the network connection. Adding this same call to the amazon-freertos version might solve your problem.

Additionally, as a workaround, have you tried destroying the network connection with SOCKETS_Close() yourself, in the disconnect callback? This might work for you in the meantime as you wait for a solution.

Hi @Radrud,

Additionally, in your disconnect callback, can you try calling IotMqtt_Disconnect() with the flag IOT_MQTT_FLAG_CLEANUP_ONLY, whenever the disconnect reason is anything other than IOT_MQTT_DISCONNECT_CALLED, as described in this GitHub issue?