Multiple variables on the same queue

juankike11 wrote on Wednesday, October 21, 2015:

Hello everyone.
I’m new using the FreeRTOS.
I want’t to have a task that controlls a TCP communication, so another task is going to pass it the IP, port and data to send.
My question is, What is the best way to pass this information? if the IP is an unsigned long, the port is an unsigned int and the data is char and if it´s possible just use a Queue to send the information.
Thanks for your time.

rtel wrote on Wednesday, October 21, 2015:

Take a look at the implementation of FreeRTOS+TCP (http://www.freertos.org/tcp). It uses a single queue to pass all types of data to the task that manages the TCP/IP stack itself - packets arriving from the network, packets being sent to the network, connect events, abort events, shutdown events, etc. It does this by using a queue to send structures. One member of the structure is an enumerated type that describes the data (for example, received packet) and another member of the structure that holds the data (using the same example, a pointer to the buffer in which the received data is located). How the data is interpreted depends on the value of the enumerated type.