MinGW Simulator and LPCExpresso

digitalwiz wrote on Monday, August 18, 2014:

Has anyone run the MinGW simulator with NXP’s version of Eclipse, LPCExpresso? When you try to debug RTOSDemo, it complains that no emulator is connected. Well, that’s true. Anyone know the way around that? I suppose I should check the LPOpen forum too.

TIA

rtel wrote on Tuesday, August 19, 2014:

I’m not sure what it is you are trying to do. LPCXpresso is highly tailored for embedded development using a cross compiler and Cortex-M target. When you build FreeRTOS for a Cortex-M host it generates Cortex-M instructions and runs on real hardware.

The MingW simulator port is built and executed on the host (no target) as it generates x86 instructions and does not attempt to simulate any hardware.

It may be possible to integrate the MingW compiler into LPCXpresso, in fact it probably is possible, but why would you want to? If you download the standard Eclipse distribution with the CDT then you should be all set to import the simulator project.

Am I missing the point?

Regards.

digitalwiz wrote on Tuesday, August 19, 2014:

I’ve been using LPCExpresso with the LPC1769 board. I wanted to play around with the simulator and just ASSumed that LPCExpresso would be a useful tool for doing that. The simulator demo builds fine within LPCXpresso, you just can’t run it. I’d really rather not download another IDE, but if that’s the only way, so be it.

rtel wrote on Tuesday, August 19, 2014:

If it is already built then it is just a matter of finding a way of creating a debug configuration.

On the speed bar (?) you will see a button with a little green bug on it, and an arrow to the right of it. If you click the arrow you will see “Debug Configurations” as an option. Bring up the the debug configurations dialogue box and you will have options in the left window such as “(NXP Semiconductors) MCU application” “C/C++ Application”, etc.

What happens if you click the “C/C++ Application” option to create a debug configuration? You should be able to fill in the various tabs to point it at the PE (.exe) file generated by MingW and start a debug session.

No idea if that will work in LPCXpresso - but that is how it is done in vanilla Eclipse.

Regards.

digitalwiz wrote on Tuesday, August 19, 2014:

Ha! That was too easy. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.