Is there a FreeRTOS virtual machine I can download?

is there a FreeRTOS virtual machine I can download and run in virtual box, or QEMU?

Not as far as I know. But there is a way to run FreeRTOS on a Windows platform: the WinSim projects, which can be found here, and here. Those are Visual Studio projects.

The simulation is not as fast, and it is not real-time, because it sits on a multi-processing system.

All other characteristics are very realistic and every feature of FreeRTOS can be used.

Is there a linux version?

There is a pthread/POSIX port of FreeRTOS to run on Linux provided by new version 10.4.1

There is also a GCC/Eclipse/Cortex-M3 project configured for QEMU in 10.4.1 although it is not documented yet (can give long when I’m at my computer) and I also run the Xilinx Zync Cortex-A9 demo in QEMU.

I’d like to see if FreeRTOS can run on an ARM Cortex-M7 of the Teensy 4.1 board.
There are some other projects Im interested in, but I’d like to be able to get familiar with the OS, before I get the hardware to run it on.

It can definitely run on the processor, not sure how easy it is to get running on the Teensy hardware specifically.

I’d recommend buying one of the Nucleo boards from ST, they are very inexpensive and easy to get going on, and you have full access to all the hardware and pins unlike on the Teensy.

1 Like