FreeRTOS with libraries...

spacewrench wrote on Sunday, January 25, 2009:

I’ve been building several libraries containing driver code for the microcontrollers I work with frequently.  One problem I’ve encountered is adding FreeRTOS code to the library routines.  Since FreeRTOS.h includes FreeRTOSConfig.h, you have to provide _something_ to get the definitions & declarations you need.  But FreeRTOSConfig is really a project-specific file: sometimes you need all the OS features, and sometimes you want to leave them out.  So it doesn’t make sense to have a FreeRTOSConfig.h for library files, which (by definition) are supposed to be useful in all programs.

Is there any commonly-accepted way to deal with this?  I guess I could make a library FreeRTOSConfig that just turns on all options, and then if a project includes some library function that calls a FreeRTOS function that isn’t enabled by the project Config, you’d know that you have to either work around that library function, or add the FreeRTOS feature.  But that still seems pretty crufty.  Any better solutions?  (It’d be ideal if all of FreeRTOS could be built as a library, but that feels like a LOT of work!)

Regards,
d.

rtel wrote on Sunday, January 25, 2009:

Building in all components should not be a problem because your final binary should only include the functions that are actually used rather than all the functions.  You still have to fix things like the number of available priorities, etc.

SafeRTOS is much simpler to build into a library as everything is statically declared within the application, not within the kernel.

Regards.