FreeRtos porting to Raspberry Pi 3

sakthikappu wrote on Monday, July 17, 2017:

Hi

I am trying to port the FreeRtos with RPI 3 , so i followed the steps provided in the below link

https://github.com/jameswalmsley/RaspberryPi-FreeRTOS

After successful build , we replaced /boot/kernal.img with the new kernal.img which we generated and when we booted ,still we are able to see only the raspbian os instead of FreeRtos
Please help us to overcome this issue , is anything has to be done extra
Note:
Whether we can Port FreeRtos with Raspberry pi 3???
please Help

Regards
Sakthi

rtel wrote on Monday, July 17, 2017:

Just like the last post I replied to, I’m afraid you are using third
party code on an architecture we don’t support ourselves - so I’m afraid
I don’t know where to start in replying. The only thing I could do is
to obtain the board, tools and third party code myself and try it …
and that would take a long time.

bonzadog wrote on Sunday, December 23, 2018:

I am very surprised an FREERTOS that the raspberry pi 3 is not really supported.
There are ports but the all seem to be incomplete and are not stable.

I do not need to tell you the the RPi ha a huge number of users and the a RTOS would be a huge
benefit to the RPi community.

Will the FREERTOS consider this?

BD

rtel wrote on Monday, December 24, 2018:

It is something we consider quite often, but it is somewhat outside of
our primary MCU market, and our roadmap going forward has a lot that
will inevitable be higher priority.

Well about two years later wht is your position now. The RPi is the most populat ItO and I feel that FreeRTOS would be a huge enrichment to the RPi . Also for newlings to learn about Real time Operating systems compare to ,say, Unix.

1 Like

This needs to happen :slight_smile:

Please see the newer thread about this topic: A clean RTOS for the Raspberry pi 3 and 4?

There are community contributed ports of FreeRTOS for Raspberry Pi’s, however MCUs are much better suited and simpler to learn FreeRTOS than the Cortex A processors on the RPi 3/4.

Thanks for the link. Bookmarking.

I agree for first time users it may be better to get a 10$ ESP32 board or something with some code space and ram to make something interesting. My argument is that many many people already have a Raspberry Pi often an older one or even a Pi Zero just sitting around and the owner needs something embedded to solve a problem and does not want to deal with Linux maintenance for a simple GPIO task.

Just my 2c :slight_smile: