FreeRTOS News - v10.4.0 release, growth, blogs and events

Copy of the latest FreeRTOS Community Newsletter

Dear FreeRTOS community,

I’m pleased to report the number of FreeRTOS downloads, and the number of visitors to the FreeRTOS website, continues its 18-year long upward trend. Thanks to everybody for their continued support of this truly free, neutral, and MIT licensed open source project.

In this newsletter, you will read about:

• The FreeRTOS v10.4.x release
  • New IoT libraries
  • The FreeRTOS Blog – have you seen it yet?
  • Past and upcoming virtual events (including Tuesday Oct. 6)

The FreeRTOS v10.4.x release
I’m pleased to announce the recent release of FreeRTOS v10.4.x. The new version improves memory protection unit (MPU) support on ARMv7-M (Cortex-M3, 4 and 7) and ARMv8-M (Cortex-M23 and 33) cores, enhances the usability of direct-to-task notifications, introduces a Linux port, and more. See the release announcement for more information.

New IoT libraries
The FreeRTOS GitHub account now contains additional ‘core’ IoT related libraries. The design of these libraries ensures they are decoupled from everything other than the standard C library. They are decoupled form FreeRTOS, any particular TCP/IP stack, and don’t require multithreading. That enables their use in a wide range of applications, from individual library use in pre-existing 8 or 16-bit applications, through to full library integrations in multi-threaded 64-bit applications. Select libraries are already being sub-moduled into the main FreeRTOS distribution, where demo applications will demonstrate their use within agent (or ‘daemon’) tasks to ensure simplicity of use and thread safety. What’s more, the libraries are MISRA compliant (checked with Coverity), include a growing number of memory safety proofs (see blogs below), and are MIT licensed to enable use in any application .

The FreeRTOS blog
I encourage everybody to visit our new but growing collection of blog posts. There you will already find posts on our memory safety proofs, using FreeRTOS on ARM Cortex-M33 cores, accelerating execution speed by using task notifications, and interfacing FreeRTOS with trusted execution environments that use Arm’s Trusted Firmware-M.

Do you have a product or integration that adds value to the FreeRTOS community, and would like to blog about it? If so, please use the Business Contact link to discuss opportunities for publishing on FreeRTOS.org.

Past and upcoming virtual events
With the current global health situation, all industry events are “virtual” for the time being, so we are unable to meet in person. The up-side of virtual events is they can often be accessed for free and remain available for viewing after their original broadcast. Below I’ve listed links to talks we’ve done in the last couple of months, and those coming up soon. We’re looking forward to two events in particular—ARM DevSummit and AWS re:Invent 2020. Arm DevSummit is quickly approaching this week. re:Invent 2020 is Amazon Web Services’ (AWS) premier annual conference, which this year is a free, 3-week virtual event from Nov. 30 – Dec. 18, 2020.

• Building on FreeRTOS for Safety Critical Applications (Arm DevSummit)
  • Driving IoT Deployments with FreeRTOS, PSA Certified, and the AWS Cloud (Arm DevSummit)
  • FreeRTOS talk at re:Invent
  • Industry Tech Days Keynote (All About Circuits)
  • Internet of Open Source Things (IoT World panel session – not free)
  • Moving from FreeRTOS to SafeRTOS (WITTENSTEIN webinar)

Until next time – best regards,
Richard Barry

4 Likes

There is a talk tomorrow - Tuesday October 6th!

There is a talk tomorrow - Tuesday October 6th!

Richard, I think it is not clear where the talk will be held, or where it can be heard?

Link is at the bottom of the post at the top of this thread.

I think the confusion is that that link is for a past event … 6/23/2020

@tcomins, some of the links are to events in the past where the recordings are still viewable today—like the WITTENSTEIN webinar link. There are others that are coming up in the future as well (e.g. Arm DevSummit, and AWS re:Invent 2020).