Found an issue with +TCP

joehinkle wrote on Friday, August 12, 2016:

Since I’ve ported +TCP, I’ve been chasing several issue (most caused by me and my xNetworkInterfaceOutput().)

With those behind me, I was having an issue with the ENET not transmitting some messages randomly.

I finially figured that the Ethernet buffer being passed via pxNetworkBuffer to the xNetworkInterfaceOutput() function did not meet the 8 byte alignment requirement of the ENET.

When the ENET is asked to transmit a buffer NOT 8 byte aligned it stalls and does nothing.

Tracing into the stacks source code I found the issue.

static void prvTCPReturnPacket( FreeRTOS_Socket_t *pxSocket, NetworkBufferDescriptor_t *pxNetworkBuffer, uint32_t ulLen, BaseType_t xReleaseAfterSend )
{
TCPPacket_t * pxTCPPacket;
IPHeader_t *pxIPHeader;
EthernetHeader_t *pxEthernetHeader;
uint32_t ulFrontSpace, ulSpace;
TCPWindow_t *pxTCPWindow;
NetworkBufferDescriptor_t xTempBuffer;

/* For sending, a pseudo network buffer will be used, as explained above. */

if( pxNetworkBuffer == NULL )
	{
		pxNetworkBuffer = &xTempBuffer;

#if( ipconfigUSE_LINKED_RX_MESSAGES != 0 )
		{
			xTempBuffer.pxNextBuffer = NULL;
		}
		#endif
		xTempBuffer.pucEthernetBuffer = pxSocket->u.xTCP.lastPacket;   ISSUE!!!!!!!
		xTempBuffer.xDataLength = sizeof pxSocket->u.xTCP.lastPacket;
		xReleaseAfterSend = pdFALSE;

}

lastPacket happens to be an array internal to the socket.

Depending on the memory location that held the socket, lastPacket may or may NOT meet my 8 byte alignment requirement.

It may case - it did not and it causes the ENET to stall.

Let me know if you disagree – but I’ve traced this buffer all the way to thexNetworkInterfaceOutput() and it is root-cause.

I am using BufferAllocation_1

I hope this helps.

Not sure how to fix it myself other than to acquire a real NetworkBufferDescriptor_t and copy the contents of lastPacket into it.

Joe

joehinkle wrote on Friday, August 12, 2016:

Update:

Hein informed me that setting config flag: ipconfigZERO_COPY_TX_DRIVER forces the stack to always use “Real” buffers.

Applied the config variable and all is fine.

Please note: there is absolutely ZERO information posted anywhere on the usage of the flag ipconfigZERO_COPY_TX_DRIVER.

Hein has been a great help. All is well.

Thanks.

Joe