Architecture-Independent Message Buffers

We have been using Message Buffers for a while now to stream data between cores and it has been working great.

Now we plan to migrate one of the Processors to AARCH64 and will run into problems with the current Message Buffer implementation (especially StreamBuffer_t struct).

I think it is becoming more prevalent in Embedded to have big.LITTLE architectures with varying width architectures. In many cases the big CPU will run Linux but if both processors run FreeRTOS it will be very handy to be able to use Message Buffers to communicate between them.

While adapting the shared types to accommodate different architectures may not be too hard, it may introduce code complexities in some places.

Do you think this is a relevant and feasible issue to raise for the FreeRTOS-Kernel?

Cheers,
Stefan

Would you please describe the problems that you anticipate?

Some member types are not fixed size, e.g. uxTail is size_t and will be 8 byte on AARCH64 but 4 byte on most 32 bit architectures. Sames goes for the pointer members in the struct.

As I understand the code, both the sender and the receiver of a Message Buffer access the same structure in shared memory, so the memory layout of the structure must be identical for the sender and receiver architectures.

In case it did not became clear in my original post: the idea is to use Message buffers between two different architectures (e.g. ARMv7-A and AARCH64).

Thank you for explaining - I understand now.

I have one question here - the shared memory is accessible to both the cores. How does the addressing work? Is it like the address are 32-bits only and therefore upper 32-bits are ignored/zeroed out when accessing it as a 64-bit address from the 64-bit core.

Yes, please do.

The Message Buffer must be placed within the 32-bit Memory region, to be accessible by aarch32. This means the 4 MSB of Message Buffer addresses in the aarch64 view are always zero.

There are several ways this could be implemented to be platform independent. What comes to my mind (maybe also combinations):

• store addresses as uint32_t in struct and cast to pointer when used
  • zero-pad structure so each member is 8 byte aligned
  • serialization/deserialization functions to access memory (endianess independent)

It will always be a compromise between performance, memory usage, portability and clean code.

My guess from looking at the design of the stream buffers, is that the size_t member could be converted to a fixed size. A uint16_t would allow for stream buffers up to 64k in size, and uint32_t for bigger. (I can’t imagine a need even on 64 bit architectures for more than 4GB stream buffers). The one limitation this would make is limitations on systems with a 16 bits size_t, but I suspect that making it size_t unless you were on an aarch64 processor would work.

The bigger issue is that 3 actual pointers are stored, and those would need to be storing 32 bit numbers restriction the buffer address and the call back funcitions needing to be limited to the lower 32-bit memory address space, and the aarch64 processor needing to zero extend those addresses.

We will take a closer look at this in the coming weeks.
If we find a solution that we think can make it into the main branch, we will contribute it.
Otherwise, we will probably just implement our own solution outside the kernel.

I will post an update here once I know more.